The History of the Match Works Building
Among the first industrial enterprises, The Hart Nut and Washer Company, began in 1868 in this building. Following its demise, it became a flour mill, followed by the Mentor Knitting Mills Company. The Knitting Mills, established in 1896, prospered for only a short time. The building then housed The Lake Shore Chemical Company, during 1916-1917 which produced an ingredient for poison gas made for World War 1. This was followed by the Salvet Company which manufactured animal tonics and in 1923, the Ames Bag Company, which made cloth bags for salt...
The most successful manufacturing enterprise was the Columbia Match Company founded in 1938 by James H. Weaver and his 2 sons. The company made match books and match making machines for a worldwide market. The Production Machinery Corporation purchased the building in 1955 and made significant renovations. The Perfect Match and other restaurants in addition to a number of business offices have occupied the building since 1980. The Match Works Tavern is a Chef driven restaurant, owned and operated by Chef Tom Quick and his wife Denise.
The Match Works Tavern is "A casual atmosphere with serious food" ~Chef Tom Quick
8500 Station Street
Mentor, Ohio 44060
Mon - Fri: 9AM - 5PM
Sat: 10AM - 5PM